Sunday, 10 July 2011

Happiness Is

"If you want happiness for an hour? Take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day? Go fishing.
If you want happiness for a year? Inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime? Help someone else."
Chinese Proverb 

As I sit here typing I am listening to the happy (read 'loud') sounds of my four children thundering up and down on the balcony outside. I spare a small thought for my poor neighbours ... then I think, no, people who think that the happy sounds of children laughing is bad noise are rather sad, small people in my humble opinion. ;)

There has been a lot of laughter in our house these school holidays. I am fortunate that my kids do all get on quite well together. That may well change in a few years with Angus and Joshua but hey! for the moment I will enjoy it :) I have felt kind of sad that we haven't gone out much. I would love to take them all to a theme park. But for our large family it would be a major financial undertaking. Something that needs planning and saving for maybe a year or more! One day we will get them there and that is a promise ;)

It got me thinking what makes a happy family?

Is it being able to afford the latest gadgets, to go on holidays, to go to theme parks and movies? Yes kids love these things and if you can afford this then it is great to spend time together doing the stuff that money can buy. But I have a feeling it is not the money being spent on them but the time being spent with them that children love so much.



All children want to feel valued, to feel that their contribution to the household is important and worthwhile. To know that parents love them and want to spend time with them, to talk with them about their interests and activities. In our household I try to give some one-on-one time with each of my children at some time during the day.  What do you do with your family that doesn't involve spending money? I would love to know.



Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melanie - what a lovely blog. I love that proverb. Such a good questions too. I'm a big believer in spending time with my kids - because I know that's what they'll remember.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love all comments. You are the best <3

Real Time Analytics