Saturday, 9 July 2011

If wishes were horses....

I have spent a lot of time contemplating, musing, toying with the idea of writing a blog. What could I write about? What would someone who meandered across my blog want to read? What would make someone want to come back? I will first tell you a little about me. My first blog can be an informative one. I will try to lay bare my soul so that you can understand me a little better maybe. I would love you to comment or email me telling me a little about yourself too. Firstly, I was born in 1969 in Liberia, West Africa. My mum and dad are both English.


My dad is from the beautiful New Forest in the south of England, my mum is from Southampton. My dad worked on the big mining trucks and at Mt Nimba, in northern Liberia there was a big iron ore mine and that is how I came to be born there.



I am part Romani gypsy. What people may not know is that Mother Theresa, Elvis Presley, Charlie Chaplin, Michael Cain, David Essex, Yul Brunner and a lot of other well known people can also lay claim to having a gypsy heritage. Words that everyone uses like dad, posh, bamboozle, corker (lie), mockers (jinx), pal and rogue are all Romani gypsy words. I have always liked the fact that I am a gypsy. But I realise that it has made me quite introverted and given to reflection. That and the fact that I am totally deaf in my left ear and cannot hear very well in a noisy, crowded room have made me shy and timid.

I have four incredible gifts. They are my wonderful children. Bethany (8), Hannah (6), Angus (3) and Joshua (18 months). Stories about them will take up a lot of my writing.





They are my life, my world, my raison d'etre. What I don't tell a lot of people is that I have suffered from clinical depression for nearly 20 years now. My kids are what keep me going, and make me get up in the morning and face another day.

I love to crochet and read. I love animals with a passion. I enjoy cooking and I love expressing myself in writing. My posts would consist of children, animals, children, cooking, children, crafts, children and books. Oh and some more children for good measure. I would love you to return and travel lifes' journey with me some more. O manusha khelevan tut, this literally means the people make you dance. Said if a place is nice and welcoming.


Melanie

13 comments:

  1. Mel, I am so very proud of you! Although I have shared much of your life's journey as your sister, I look forward to seeing our lives and adventures through your eyes. A subject that will always bring me back for more, is my gorgeous, darling neices and nephews. Love you and congratulations of your new blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting your blog. It was one of the best things I ever did! Wishing you much bogging happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Melanie, I really, really do. Your children are gorgeous and I feel like I *know* you so much better after reading this. What amazing origins you have too, being born in West Africa with Romani gypsy heritage! Thanks so much for linking up to I Must Confess this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an informative first post. I didn't know much about Gypsy heritage. Fascinating. I'm also quiet, shy and introverted. Btw your children are gorgeous. Hope you are travelling better with the depression these days. I've been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second your children are gorgeous. What a great introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great first post. I am convinced I am part gypsy (although possibly the imaginary part)and I'm sure there is a brightly painted caravan waiting for me somewhere.
    xx
    Lisa
    Button Brain

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have written a beautiful first post, and it really set the scene for your blog. Love, love, love xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely first post. I'm so intrigued by your gypsy heritage. Those children are gorgeous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great introduction and a facsinating story. I love learning about all these amazing backgrounds through different blogs. Thanks for linking with The Lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to meet you! I haven't come across your blog before, but I look forward to keeping up with your goings on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading this! I stand by previous comment. Gorgeous children and interesting bio! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those photos of your kids are simply stunning - beautiful Melanie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love all comments. You are the best <3

Real Time Analytics