Thursday, 14 July 2011

Let's Boost our Self Esteem

Self Esteem is something that I need to work on constantly. It is fairly low at the best of times, but it can hit rock bottom and I have feelings of worthlessness and inferiority. I think that we all need a bit of a boost in this area. So let's do it (and you just have to say that with an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice).

I have attended quite a few confidence building and self esteem workshops in my time. Yes I know, here I am still without a shred of confidence to my name. But I think the courses tried their hardest, really. I think I am now an expert in the 'theory' of confidence. But the practise.... Hmm I am a tough nut to crack!. I found that I was helping everyone else in the class to feel better about themselves and forgot about helping me. But if I helped them along the way, and they are now living confident, worthy lives then bonus! It definitely wasn't a waste of my time.

Ways to help boost your self esteem (I think we all know these but isn't it good to be reminded of them sometimes?)

1. Take full responsibility for your life. Stop blaming others for the way you are and the way you feel. You have the power to change the way you think. Nobody else!

2. Tell that little voice that we all have in our head, to shut up. Avoid self put downs and self criticisms.

3. Try to keep your thoughts in the present. Don't live in the past and don't worry (too much) about tomorrow.

4. The odd positive affirmation is helpful. Generate positive thoughts and feelings of self love and self acceptance. Say 5 times out loud "I am beautiful and lovable just the way I am!" Go on. I dare ya. :)

5. Be a participant in life. Get out and live! Don't hang back and watch from the sidelines.

6. Be willing to laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself too seriously.

7. Schedule some me time. Have a nice, warm bubble bath and relax and reflect on all the blessings that you have in life.

8. Do not compare yourself to others. There is no one who is just like you.

9. Treat yourself well. Wear clothes you feel good in. If you are happy then it will shine out of your eyes and people will be drawn to you.

10. Acknowledge others frequently. Tell them what you admire and appreciate about them. Think of others and give of your time and energy helping out if you can.

Last one, I could go on... and on... hehe!

11. Have a loving heart. Tell people you love them. Give it away and it will return to you in abundance. Remember love generates love.

I love the Desiderata poem. Go placidly amid the noise and haste...  I think if we are able to do half the things in that poem, then we are doing well.

I do feel better after that and I hope that you do too? Now I would love some tips please. What helps you to feel more confident? What do you do when that little voice starts talking?



5 comments:

  1. Nice words! A favourite quote:

    If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. ~Vincent Van Gogh

    In other words: Don't treat the voice in your head as gospel! It can and will lie to you about yourself.

    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. Think we all need to focus a bit more on some of that. (okay well maybe I mean me :O) Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list Melanie. I completely agree with number 8. Don't get too hung up in comparing yourself and being somebody your not comfortable being, believe in yourself and you will achieve your dreams. Love your blog, look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, number 8 is just so true; I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 10 years ago, and realise that I probably battled with it for much longer than this. Thank you for a lovely, positive list to go back to again and again - it's fuel for life. Much love, Tarnya.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I whole-heartedly believe in the power of positive thinking. Many people have said I'm a lucky person. I'm positive about where I want to go in life and I take steps and work hard to get there - that's not luck! This doesn't mean I'm always positive and that I have great self esteem. I'm constantly criticising myself in my head. This post was great for me. I'm fighting a bad battle in my head at the moment and I needed to read it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love all comments. You are the best <3

Real Time Analytics