Thursday, 28 July 2011

NAIDOC Week

Yesterday, we went to a special assembly at our girls' school it was to commemorate NAIDOC week - National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee. My daughter Hannah and all the other Grade 1's were involved. They were putting on a special aboriginal dance. It was so beautiful to watch, it touched me deeply and brought tears to my eyes.

It coincided with a visit by a group of 15 Japanese students from Kindai Primary School in Osaka, Japan. They are here for just five days. A flying visit to gain some experience of another country and other children in a contrasting primary school. They were all wide eyed and I hoped they enjoyed it too.

There was a former student playing the didgeridoo - very well, and a family doing a traditional dance. It was all very enjoyable and entertaining.

The theme for this year's NAIDOC week was "Change, The next step is ours".


One of the big events of the special week is a poster competition. This year an Indigenous artist from Mackay, Matthew Humphries, won the Competition for 2011.



There was something so moving about the whole thing. Watching the 100 or so students up there all dancing to a beautiful song, with expressive hand gestures and movements was memorable indeed.

I could feel my heart swell with considerable pride, when I watched my little six year old Hannah Noodle dancing so beautifully and taking it all so seriously. I love that little girl so much. :-)

A older woman gave a short speech about her people and her history. She was holding a very small baby girl. She held her up at the end of her talk and showed everyone, saying as she choked back tears, that this was her people's future. Everyone broke out in applause.

There are some moments in life that make you stop. I spend all my life it seems, rushing frantically around, trying to do so much. I love those moments, where I can take stock, put priorities back in their rightful place and this was one such time.  I felt a calmness, a stillness, a peace. It is a very rare occurrence in my life, and one that when it happens, I cherish it.

Do you find time in your busy lives to stop, relax and reflect, even if it is only for a few moments?




Melanie

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really lovely Mel. Well done to Hannah! No wonder you felt proud! I could sit and watch her all day long; she is such an expressive, beautiful little soul. xxAng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Melanie! I was mesmerized by aboriginal culture when I had an opportunity to learnt more about it. At the same time it makes me sad when thinking about what happened with Aboriginals here in Australia. To explain, I have been living here only for the last 5 years.
    Kisses,
    Marusya from http://crashingred.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. and funny enough to admit, I suffered from Postnatal depression.. a kind of recovering now. Just seen the badge on your site now... Great you put it on, it may help others...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an older post now, but I wanted to comment about how seeing the performance with your daughter in it, made you teary.... it is n ice to know that I am not the only one who does this.

    I still get like it and most of my children are in older grades now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love all comments. You are the best <3

Real Time Analytics