Tuesday, 1 November 2011

... and Puppy Dog's Tails


I have a dilemma! My 7 year old Hannah has wanted a puppy for a very long time. She just loves dogs. I think that yes, a growing family should have a family dog. It is one of those necessary family things. I had a dog when I was growing up. I admit our pure bred basset hound 'Demure Louis Philippe' was self centred, incredibly naughty, amazingly indulged and he did not like being told off, but I did love our Louis, and I am glad that we had him.




My 8 year old daughter Bethany is getting a new kitten in a few weeks time. A gorgeous little tabby girl, with beautiful markings.




A lovely mum at school has a Maltese who has just had puppies. There was a little boy and a little girl. The girl has been sold for $550 I think. The little boy is still to be sold. They have asked us if we would like to buy this incredibly cute little Maltese puppy for $500. If I had the money spare I would buy this little pup in a heartbeat. The kitten and puppy could grow up together and be the best of friends. Bethany is happy, Hannah is happy, mummy is happy, everybody is happy!


The kitten is free. The puppy is $500. Hmmm. Of course children don't really care what price things are. It is left up to us adults to care about such mundane and boring matters. I would hate, hate, hate to make Hannah feel less important than Bethany. 


I will regret it, when this little boy goes to someone else. But there is no getting past the fact that we don't have that sort of money. I suppose that should be the end of the story. I shouldn't even be considering it. But there is so much more to life than money and cute little, white, soft as silk, puppies, that look at you with their big, brown eyes as they become another family member, is definitely one of them.


I am an animal person. I have always loved animals. Sometimes even more than people. I think it is important for children to have animals in their lives. In my home there have always been animals. Endless cats, a dog, canaries, budgies, finches, fish, a turtle, a guinea pig. Animals enrich our lives so much. 




This is the little pup in question. :-)
Now look into those eyes and say no...





Oh what to do? What would you do? Are you an animal lover like me, who thinks that animals are an important experience for children growing up? I would really love to hear your thoughts.




Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love all comments. You are the best <3

Real Time Analytics