I want to help my four children gain a love of reading too and help them find the joy that escaping into a good book can give. There is nothing quite like it.
How do we help our kids? How do we teach them about the pleasure, the escape, the excitement that books can give and make them want to pick up a book all by themselves?
As parents I think we have a big responsibility as our child's first teacher. I don't agree with leaving it all up to school teachers to teach them. I want to have a hand in it too.
So what can we do to encourage and foster a love of reading in our little ones.
- Play simple word games with them like eye spy and hang-man.
- Sing songs and nursery rhymes.
- Paint and draw. Let them express themselves creatively.
- Play with blocks.
- Do a jigsaw.
- Play outside. Playing with sand or water is a great way for them to learn about simple numeracy concepts.
- Read to them as often as possible. Children love it when you spend time with them. Make it light-hearted and fun.